Color Portrait (oil on stretched canvas or canvas panel)*
8x10” - $300
9x12” - $350
11x14” - $400
* One person or pet. Additional people and pets, see chart on right.
*Additional People or Pets
8x10” - Add $60 for each additional person or pet
9x12” - Add $80" " "
11x14” - Add 100" " "
• Please allow 2 to 3 weeks for completion of portrait. Holiday orders may take longer. A final archival varnish is applied to the canvas when it is completely dry.
• A deposit of 50% down is required when the portrait is ordered. The balance isn't due until you have seen the portrait (via email) and are happy with it. If for some reason you are not happy with it, then I will gladly keep the portrait and send you a complete refund of your deposit. I want you to be 100% happy with your portrait, otherwise you are not obligated to purchase.
• Mailing costs for out-of-town clients are extra.
• Payment plans are available.
• After the first portrait, there is a 15% discount for more portraits of other animals owned by the same person. A 15% discount also applies for portraits of people.
• Satisfaction is guaranteed.
• All portraits are priced unframed. Framing is available for an additional fee.
• Prices are exclusive of shipping and handling, which can be arranged according to your wishes.
* Commissioned artwork is for personal use only, and may not be used for financial gain. Copyright on all artwork remains the property of the artist.
Portraits are available in oils on canvas or canvas panel. I work primarily from digital photographs. If you have a favorite photograph that you would like to be used, please make sure there is adequate detail and good lighting. Sometimes providing several different photographs of the subject is helpful. Early morning or late afternoon sunlight works well to accentuate the details of the subject, and shadows help to define the features. However, if the animal is squinting because of the bright sunlight, try taking the pictures in bright shade. Also, it is more visually appealing if the subject is not looking directly at the camera; a three-quarter view is always nice. Please keep in mind that the detail in the portrait is limited by the detail in the photograph. The photograph should be relatively close-up, so that the subject fills the frame of the photo. If your digital photograph is of a high resolution, I can enlarge areas on my computer to provide the most pleasing composition. As far as the digital format, jpegs of at least 300 dpi are preferred. Also, try not to use a flash when photographing your subject as this will wash out all of the shadows that define the face. If you would like a portrait done of more than one animal and no photograph is available with all of the subjects together, I am often able to combine the subjects together on the computer for a nice arrangement. This works particularly well with cats!
In special cases, where an old photograph (not digital) is damaged and taking new ones is not possible, several pictures can sometimes be used to create a satisfactory portrait. All photos sent to me are returned unharmed.
If there is not an existing photograph that is preferred, I am happy to take digital photographs of the subject. (If you live out of town, I charge for travel expenses and lodging if needed). Simple backgrounds are included in the portrait price. Sometimes, no background is needed. If a very detailed background is desired, there may be an additional charge, negotiated before the initial drawing is started. Prices do not include shipping, handling, or framing. Please see the price charts below.
If you have any questions, please feel free to email me!
Portrait Commissions and Pricing Information
Note: I now have a website just for portraits! You can get there by clicking this link:
• Oil Paintings